1.23.2008

Rethinking the Songs of My Youth: Robert Palmer Edition

On my recent excursions with my Sirius Stiletto radio, I've been listening to an unhealthy amount of the Big 80s channel, which is my go-to music channel until Outlaw Country agrees never to play a Jimmy Buffett or Eagles song ever again. Because the Stiletto lets you record songs as you hear them, I've been filling up my library with songs that strike my fancy. And my fancy was struck hard when I recently heard Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible."

I'm guessing that if you think about Robert Palmer at all, you think about the videos, and the robotically swaying women that populated them. But I would like to declare the moment in "Simply Irresistible" right before the title is sung in the chorus as a genius moment in music. It sounds like steel hitting steel, and there's really no musical reason for it to be in the song, but hot damn, it's my new favorite 80s music moment.



I think we need more steel-like sound effects in songs. Maybe the Arcade Fire can work that into their next CD.

And you also have to give it up for "She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went."

Y'know, I think I have to buy some Robert Palmer CDs.

It's amazing what a little steel can do.

No comments: