2.08.2006

100 Greatest Teen Stars: 60–41

60. Christina Applegate--Would've thought she'd crack the Top 50. So I'm guessing David Faustino is not making the list. Tough luck, champ.
59. Justine Bateman--Not a bad spot. Sort of the most expendable of the Keatons. Though without her, there's no Nick or Skippy. So maybe Tina Yothers was the most expendable. Speaking of which, will she make the cut? If so, she'll be way too high up.
58. Mark Paul Gosselaar--Now we're talking. This seems a bit low in the list, but I'll have to hold judgment on this until the end. If there aren't at least three "Saved by the Bell"ers on this list, heads will roll.
57. Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary on "Little House on the Prairie")--Donny Osmond apparently "kinda had a crush" on just about every teen star, because he keeps popping up and saying as much.
56. Mackenzie Phillips ("One Day at a Time')--Sure, OK. Never paid much attention to the show to be honest.
55. Phoebe Cates--"Fast Times" strikes again. That's four in the first 45. It is indeed a classic. Because I'd only seen the edited version on regular TV when I was younger, I didn't understand the big deal about the pool scene until I saw the DVD. It made more sense after that.
54. Ilan Mitchell-Smith ("Weird Science")--Guess who was available for an interview? This sucks. Mark Paul Gosselaar and Zabka should get together and kick this guy's ass.
53. James Van Der Beek--Out of his teens when he started "Dawson's Creek." So he should've been saved for "100 Greatest Teen Stars Who Were Not Teens When They Were Stars."
52. Neve Campbell--"Party of Five" made her famous, the "party of three" in "Wild Things" alternately made her hot and disgusting. Matt Dillon's face in that scene...I have nightmares.
51.Chad Allen--Apparently, I missed it when he came out of the closet. Or maybe I just didn't care.
50. Kristy McNichol--Before my time, so I will not judge
49. Claire Danes--Midway through the segment, they showed an autograph collector I know who used to be obsessed with every young female actress and singer who came around. Haven't seen him in awhile. I wonder what prison he's in. Or maybe he'll pop up on the next "How To Catch a Predator" special on "Dateline."
48. Usher--Brandy asks, "Who didn't have a crush on Usher?" Uh, me.
47. Jason Bateman--Wow. Should be much higher, just for sheer volume. Predictably, no interview. Dirty politics, VH-1.
46. Christina Aguilera--I suppose it had to come at some point. And she was born in Staten Island. So there. At least she didn't crack the top 40.
45. Zach Galligan ("Gremlins")--Another one-hit wonder. But, according to the highlight of his segment, it's not all his fault. And I quote Mr. Galligan: "Reality television came along and it hurt a lot of us." Riiight. Reality television ruined your career. OK, chief.
44. Shaun Cassidy--Once more, before my time. But, damn, that music hurts my ears.
43. Tiffani-Amber Thiessen--OK. Again, let's see how the rest of the list pans out. Trying to be open-minded here. And at least she cracked the Top 50. Screech better be Top 25.
42. Irene Cara ("Fame')--According to Debbie Gibson, Irene Cara "defined a generation." Really? She at least gets bonus points for being in a band called Hot Caramel.
41. Jennie Garth--I get the feeling we're gonna see a flood of 90210ers in the top 40. And I guess I can't argue with that. As long as Ian Ziering doesn't make it. He was, what, 40 when the show started?

Only met one out of this batch (Mark Paul Gosselaar). But I'm sure I'll see Zach Galligan at a convention someday.

No comments: