5.15.2007

The Week in Game Shows

Big week for game shows. Feel the excitement.

* CBS devotes two prime-time hours to the man who is arguably the greatest game show host ever, the soon-to-retire Bob Barker. Wednesday (8 p.m.) brings "The Price Is Right Million Dollar Spectacular," which will likely be a bloated version of a game show that succeeds because it's not so bloated. Not a must-see. But Thursday's "Bob Barker: A Celebration of 50 Years on Television" (also at 8 p.m.)--now that's one to watch. Clip shows of game show highlights are almost always home runs. I expect no different here. I'll be out once again living the life of a senior citizen--this time at the 92nd Street Y watching Don Rickles in conversation with Regis Philbin--but I will be setting the VCR. Tune in and salute the legacy of a genuine TV legend. And, don't worry, Barker has about a month left before taping his last daytime show. Then and only then will the wailing begin. And, for the record, no one should replace Bob Barker. They should just pack up the Plinko board and call it a day.

*But wait, there's more: GSN salutes the Man all week long by airing "Match Game" and "Family Feud" episodes featuring Mr. Barker. I don't understand why "Price Is Right" reruns aren't on GSN. Too expensive? Too good on a channel that regularly airs "Dog Eat Dog"? I want answers.

*And in current game show news, ABC debuts a show on Friday night (9 p.m.) that I am both anxious and terrified to see, "National Bingo Night." I can't wait to see a TV show that attempts to make bingo--what the annoying host calls "one of the simplest and most fun games ever invented"--the hippest thing on television. I'm on board, and (sorry, Bob Barker) I hereby declare the premiere of "National Bingo Night" this week's Tinsel and Rot TV Must-See. I am particularly pleased that there appears to be a bingo referee.

*And, just to brag, here's a recent picture of me and the Game Show King, Chuck Barris. I look better in this picture than the last one (yes, I have had my picture taken with Chuckie Baby twice...you got a problem with that?), but Chuck doesn't fare as well.

Note the old "awkward-hand-on-the-shoulder" move I employed. Never know how to handle that.

I feel obligated to point out that I wasn't the nerdiest guy there. There was a dude in front of me who had him sign a book and about ten photos before the Barnes & Noble rep had to cut him off. Then he took a picture with him that featured the creepiest smile ever. Wish I had snapped a picture of that.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Chuck Barris??? Of the Gong Show?

Gene Gene the dancin machine?

I was just a few minutes ago thinking about what his name was...that is so wierd. Somebody gonged one of my best poems and I immediatle got an image of that man...with the poofy hair and his black tux...so odd.

Mr. Bad Example said...

Yes, indeed--that Chuck Barris. Producer. Host. Author. Songwriter. Tinsel and Rot Hall of Famer.

Sorry for your gonging.