8.20.2005

A funny thing happened on the way to the theater

I almost saw Corey Feldman fight a cab driver today.

After falling asleep somewhere between "Match Game" and "Family Feud" and waking up drenched in sweat, I thought it might be a good idea to get out of the apartment and do something. When most people plan to "do something," they come up with something constructive or maybe call up some friends and see if they want to hang out. I, however, think "Hey, that Corey Feldman play closes next week. I should really get my CD signed."

And so I headed out the door and over to the NYC theater where Corey is starring in "Fatal Attraction: A Greek Tragedy." After waiting for awhile and watching the rest of the cast arrive, I was getting a little antsy. A security guard arrived, which made me laugh, because he had to have been hired just to protect Corey. God bless the rest of the cast, but I think they'd be fine without security detail.

Anyway, finally, a white Jeep (or something like a Jeep; I don't know car makes) pulls up, and out of the driver's side comes the Feldman. His wife gets out of the passenger side. And that's when the fun starts.

There was some bad car maneuvering, and all of the sudden, I hear the sound of breaking glass. In my rush to get to Corey, I missed the moment of impact, but, from what I can gather, a cab knocked into the door as the Mrs. exited and somebody's side mirror got broke. I would have more details, but soon after the cab driver got out of the cab, fantastic amounts of yelling occurred.

It started peaceful, but when the cab driver started to blame Mrs. Corey for the accident, Corey, resplendent in a white vest and what I think were velvet pants, started to lose it. And how do you know when Corey Feldman loses it?

He takes off his sunglasses.

After some yelling in the street, Corey came back to the sidewalk, and I had to decide if now was a good time for an autograph request. I had, after all, abandoned a night of watching "Undeclared" for this. I tried calling his name, but then the cab driver came back over and tried to explain that you can't open a car door on the street side. Corey's response didn't do much to calm things down.

"What? What fucking country do you live in?"

That didn't go over well with the Pakistani gentleman, and he said he was going to call the cops. Corey insisted that he should, and then asked the security guard (who earned his pay today), "Should I just call my friend the lieutenant now? Should I?"

And then I got Corey's attention and he signed my CD, while the cab driver continued to yell at him. I really wish this had been filmed. I almost took pictures.

After Corey urged the cab driver to "get out of his face," both sides went their separate ways to cool off, Corey gave the security guy the contact info for his lieutenant friend, and Corey's wife told him that she almost had her leg taken off.

Just goes to show what can happen when you leave your apartment.

No comments: