8.18.2005

Avett August--Show #1

Hold on a second...I'm trying to think of a good music-critic cliche that will successfully convey just how good the Avett Brothers show at Joe's Pub was.

I have seen the future of unclassifiable music with elements of pop, punk, rock, bluegrass, and old-time music and its name is the Avett Brothers.

Nope. Too wordy.

The Avett Brothers tore the roof off of Joe's Pub last Saturday night.

Nah. Just dumb, and might offend victims of recent hurricanes.

The Avett Brothers are the best band you've never heard of. But that won't be the case for long.

Now how would I know if you've heard of them? Plus I've mentioned them a few times here, so scratch that one, too.

Oh, screw it. How about I just tell you that the show ended with Seth Avett breaking strings on both of his guitars (causing him to switch to tambourine), Scott Avett breaking three strings on his banjo (leading to a cry from the audience of "Go on... play that string, Scottie"), and Bob Crawford laying flat on his back with his stand-up bass on top of him?

But that might make it sound like the show was full of equipment malfunctions and possible serious injury. And it wasn't. Sure, there were equipment problems (there always are at an Avetts show), but that'll happen when you play every note and stomp every foot with the sole intention of putting every last ounce of energy you have into a song. A lot of bands will build up energy for the end of the show, and then knock you out so you have something to remember on the way home. But the Avetts come out swinging and don't let up, so that when they reach the end, both you and the band are so emotionally and physically drained that it all almost doesn't seem real.

Look, I can't make you go see the Avett Brothers. Actually, wait, yes, I can. I can come to your house, rip you from your happy slumber up there on Melody Lane, drug you up, and drag you kicking and screaming to an Avetts show. And, believe me, if I have the time to take a bus to see Screech do stand-up at a Holiday Inn on a New Jersey highway, you can bet your ass I have time to kidnap you.

But I won't (probably). I'll just remind you that there's two Avett Brothers shows in the Northeast next week, in Philly (Wed.) and Teaneck, NJ (Thurs.). Not easy to reach for most of you, but not impossible (Teaneck's easily accessible by bus from the Port Authority. You should go. Seriously. Or just keep the name in your head and catch them when they play closer to you. Don't make me turn to a life of crime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to write you an email about this, but then I recalled your desperate pleas for posts. And to the man who got Dave Bielanko to call me "baby" in writting, I am in great debt.

I just bought Live Vol. 2 by the Avett Brothers and I love it. So, I was wondering what album you'd suggest as a second Avett purchase.

Also, I'm a little unsure of what I've heard about Jesse Malin, do I need to purchase one of his albums?

Mr. Bad Example said...

I would suggest "Mignonette" as the next Avett purchase. It's their best studio album, though I have high hopes for their new one, which comes out in January 2006. But it's not January, so I'd go with Mignonette. If you want to preview before buying, a copy of Mignonette is probably on the floor of a truck in Vestal, NY right now.

After seeing Jesse Malin, I would say you don't need to purchase any of his albums. His voice bugs me. It's real pinched and sounds sorta affected. I have "The Heat," but I have yet to listen to it. I'll let you know if the CD changes my opinion.