4.09.2008

Run, boy, run

While taking a well-deserved and not-at-all-unnecessary break from doing work, I saw two blogs (here and here mention Charlie Daniels's Soap Box entry detailing his dislike for the way "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is used in Guitar Hero III. Specifically, he writes, "I want any of you parents out there whose children have this game to know that I did not grant these people my permission to pervert my song and am disgusted with the result." His main concern is that, unlike the story he told in song, the Guitar Hero version of the song finds the devil sometimes winning. Unacceptable.

Of course, I, along with the several dozen readers of my still easily purchasable book, know already of Mr. Daniels's occasional looniness and so wasn't terribly surprised to see the "Guitar Hero" rant. But, with my interest in the Soap Box (once daily reading) renewed, I took a look at the current Soap Box entry on the "bald faced power grab" that is global warming. Again, not really surprised that Mr. Daniels doubts that global warming exists. And I'm used to reading anti-global warming screeds because of the journals I copyedit at the day job, so no big whoop.

But I was a little taken aback when I saw the responses to Mr. Daniels's words. It was an experience that reminded me that there are a lot of odd people in the world. And they apparently love the fiddle.

My two favorites:

"Never once have I seen Al Gore and his band of earth loving sycophants riding in a Yugo but given the oppertunity, he'll make you drive one."

I like the use of "earth loving" as an insult. I also look forward to Al Gore making everyone drive Yugos. I'll admit that I will question his sanity when he does that.

"I hope John McCain selects Condelleza Rice as a running mate. That would be a certain 8 more years for the Republicians. I can see Opry right now saying: " Oh I Love you Obama, but I got to go with my black girlfriend, Connie". And my tip for Al Gore: You and Tipper just shut up already. We're not stupid out here in the USA, cretin's."

I've gotta be honest here--I can't see "Opry" getting on her television show and saying "Oh, I Love you Obama, but I got to go with my black girlfriend, Connie." But that's just me. I'm probably one of the cretin's.

No comments: