6.06.2007

I don't care if you think I'm strange

Thanks to the release of "Knocked Up," the quest to add more signatures in my "Freaks and Geeks" DVD yearbook continued earlier this week. And that meant another return to the thrill-an-hour world of autograph collecting outside of TV studios. This time, it was NBC Studios, where Leslie Mann (star of the "Chokin' and Tokin'" episode of "Freaks and Geeks"--and also wife of "Freaks and Geeks" executive producer Judd Apatow) was to appear on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien." It was a return to where it all began for me, as I first started talk-show autograph collecting at NBC, back when it was mainly just people with nothing better to do who weren't all that interested in selling autographs. Ah yes, the good old days. Well, they were old anyway.

I arrived at NBC to find only three shifty-looking gents milling about, so it looked to be an easy day. And, all things considered (and even with two latecomers), I suppose it was. But I did have to sit through a rendition of the Celebrity Photo Shoot Waltz before I could get the yearbook signed.

The Celebrity Photo Shoot Waltz involves anywhere from two to, oh, a dozen collectors and usually takes place at an open area like the 30 Rock lobby, as opposed to the barricaded scene outside the Ed Sullivan Theatre stage door. The Waltz begins when one person asks the celebrity if he (it's almost always he...most women seem to have better things to do than pose for photos with celebrities they barely know) can take a picture with the star. Then, he hands the camera to another collector, who takes the picture and then quickly asks if he can take a picture. So he passes the camera off to another guy, and the Waltz continues until either everybody has a picture or the celebrity can't bear to be a part of the dance anymore and starts to rethink this fame thing.

To her credit, Leslie Mann let everyone waltz who cared to waltz. And, most excitedly for me, she was accompanied by her husband, who had yet to sign the yearbook. I thought about approaching him while the waltz was going on, but I didn't want to interfere with the choreography, so I waited, had her sign it, and then when she pointed out to Apatow that I had the yearbook, I made my way over and asked him to sign.

And that's when it started to get fun.

See, the other collectors (although I guess I can't call them collectors, because all they wanted were pictures with Mann) didn't know that it was Judd Apatow. And that's a fair reaction, as I assume most people don't know what Judd Apatow looks like. I, of course, am not like most people. So they watched as Apatow signed the book and he told me to make sure I see "Superbad" when it comes out (will do). Then he walked away and headed to the exit that would take him to the waiting limo.

As he left, one of the collectors asked me who was the guy I had sign the book (I can only assume that everyone was staring at him as he signed, desperate for a clue as to his celebrity). When I told him it was Judd Apatow and the rest overheard, the reaction was as if I had told them that it was Paul McCartney.

And it was 1964.

And they were teenage girls.

They quickly ran after Apatow, calling for him to stop so they could take photos with him. And so the Waltz began with Apatow, as his wife was already outside, probably waiting in the car. Apatow graciously endured the Waltz, and four guys wound up with a picture of them and a guy who they didn't recognize from five feet away ten seconds ago. Ah, the excitement of celebrity. And the thrill of autograph collecting.

Still taking suggestions for another hobby if you've got any.

No comments: