4.24.2007

I Want My DVD: Vol. 1

Every time I find myself in the TV Shows on DVD section of a store, I am amazed that so many current shows are readily available on DVD for the average viewer. It hardly seems fair that, when I was younger, I had to wait for the syndicated rerun cycle to come back around to see the episode of "The Jeffersons" where George gives CPR to a very ungrateful Klansman (the guy from the Pathmark commercial!). Or the Hawaii episodes of "The Brady Bunch." Or the Doobie Brothers episodes of "What's Happening!!" Now, your average "Reba" fan can just buy the DVD and, voila, see whatever episode of "Reba" is memorable. Or the "Two-a-Days" fan who missed the 19 airings of a particular episode of the series can rectify the situation at the local Best Buy.

Now, I'm all for putting TV shows on DVD, but shouldn't we make sure that every television series that came before, say, "Flavor of Love" is on DVD first? The answer is yes, so please don't bother thinking of an answer.

In that spirit, I will occasionally highlight a TV show that, to the best of my knowledge, is not yet on DVD. Inevitably, the eight people that read this blog will start a movement, and the show will quickly find its way onto DVD. So, let's get cracking.

The first show we will highlight is "Square One," which aired in the afterschool hours on PBS in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The math-themed show was just about my favorite show for awhile, which partially explains why I wasn't cool for any moment of the late 1980s and early 1990s. But, so what? I loved "Mathnet," "Mathman," and, most of all, the math-related music videos. My favorite was probably "Nine, Nine, Nine," which I can remember being astounded by. And though it's not on DVD, it's on YouTube:



I remember testing out every possible "9 X Whatever" scenario after seeing that. For like an entire afternoon. Might've been better served spending that time thinking about girls.

There was also an occasional guest star video, like this one from the stars of "Disorderlies," the Fat Boys:



Seriously, how is this all only available on grainy YouTube videos? Wake up, DVD Producers of America! The time is now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who remembered and loved Square One. My favorite part of course was Mathnet, who knew corny math detectives could be so darn entertaining. And more, who knew there was still such a strong fanbase, http://www.squareonetv.org.