11.19.2006

Get Out: The Monthlong Birthday Celebration Edition (Week 4)

After the official birthday celebrations last week, Tinsel and Rot takes it slow this week, focusing mostly on giving thanks and eating turkey.

MON 11/20 (7 p.m.) Kinky Friedman book signing (Barnes and Noble Astor Place, NYC)

The man who would have been governor reads from and signs his new book, "The Christmas Pig." I haven't read it yet, but I've read just about all of Kinky's books and enjoyed nearly every one. And his readings are always entertaining, so long as you're not easily offended. And if you are easily offended, what are you doing here? Anyway, check it out if you can.

MON 11/20 (9 p.m.)--Jim Boggia/Mike Viola (The Living Room , NYC)

A Tinsel and Rot field operative has strongly suggested that I go to one of the shows in the every-Monday-in-November residency these two guys have at the Living Room. And since I'll be in the city anyway, I figure this Monday's the day. There were also rumblings that friend of Marah Adam Masterson would be doing a show upstairs in Googie's Lounge, but there hasn't been confirmation of that. So I guess I'll find out when I get there. And so can you.

The only other show I would go to this week would probably be the New York Dolls/Supersuckers show on Wednesday at Irving Plaza. But I think I will be unavailable to attend. Still, it should be good. The Supersuckers just put out a new EP now available at their online store for the special price of $6.66. They're a fun band. And once you get past the fact that Staten Island's pride and joy David Johansen looks like he weighs about 90 pounds, you'll probably enjoy the Dolls, too.

As for last week's recap, Christine Smith's CD release show (with special guests Kirk Henderson and Dave Bielanko--from a little band called Marah--and Jesse Malin) was a real good time. She performed the entire CD, which you oughta go buy, and much fun was had by all. Then it was on to Joe Ely, which was pretty damn awesome. He told lots of stories in between songs (including one about the day he joined the circus...seriously) and finished the main set with "Gallo del Cielo," which is definitely in my All-Time Top 5 Songs . The song's written by Tom Russell, but it's Ely's versions that always get me going. I don't know why a song about cockfighting gets me so emotional, but it does. And then he encored with his cover of Terry Allen's "Gimme A Ride to Heaven, Boy," another fine song. Damn, that was a good show.

I had my faith in Will Hoge restored on Wednesday, shortly after partaking in a birthday dinner of pierogies and coconut chicken at Maxwell's. Hoge was miles better than he was the last time I saw him in Brooklyn and the crowd wasn't nearly as annoying, or at least I positioned myself far enough back that they didn't bother me. They're just an awesome live band, and you really oughta check 'em out someday. Just keep your distance from the swaying, screaming drunk girls. Or get real close to them. I won't tell you how to live your life.

Sickness and crappy weather kept me away from the Bruce Hornsby show in Red Bank, but I rallied to take in another rocktastic Bobby Bare Jr. show at the Mercury Lounge. "The Heart Bionic" is battling "Zoysia" for the title of Favorite Live Song of 2006. I tried to hang in for Centro-Matic's set, but I wasn't really digging them too much. And so, because I was still a little under the weather and had to gird myself for a birthday celebration on Saturday, I bailed after 8 songs. I don't like doing that, but they just weren't doing it for me. I'm sure they'll get over that.

And on Saturday, we partied like 13-year-olds. And it was good.

No comments: