10.27.2005

Get Out: The Spooky Halloween Edition

I've been too transfixed on "I Love the 80s 3D" to do much writing this week (someone, anyone, stop Mo Rocca). My apologies. Next week should bring something exciting, though. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, here's a special Halloween/All Saints Day edition of Get Out.

FRIDAY, 10/28--Eric Ambel and the Roscoe Trio--Lakeside Lounge--11 p.m.--NO COVER

Yes, the Roscoe Trio returns to the Lakeside Lounge for another free show during which much fun will be had. This will be the last Roscoe show for a bit, as he's headed out for another overseas tour as one of Steve Earle's Dukes (though I just saw that he will be playing a house party at Drew's in Ringwood, NJ on Sunday, December 11. Glory be.). So come on out and wish him well.

By the way, one of my pictures is on Roscoe's website. That makes me happy.

MONDAY, 10/31--Maybe Pete--Rockwood Music Hall--10 p.m.--NO COVER

Maybe Pete played this same place last month, and it was a real good time. The "music hall" is a comfy, new concert space on Allen St. on the Lower East Side. It's a real nice place, and Maybe Pete has some kickass new songs that sounded damn fine at the last show. Come out and support them after you dress up as a tampon for the Village Halloween Parade. You should probably change before you come.

And if you don't go, I'm totally egging your car. And TPing your house.

WEDNESDAY, 11/2--Matthew Ryan--Living Room--8 p.m.--$10

It has been a long time since Matthew Ryan came to town, so there is absolutely no chance I'd miss this show. He's a real underappreciated songwriter who's got a ton of great songs spread out over four albums (if I had to pick one, I'd go with "East Autumn Grin"...but I don't have to pick just one, and neither do you). His songs are full of so much damn emotion that I find it difficult to write or talk about them without getting overly emotional myself. Unfortunately, I tried to explain this to him once at the Goldhawk in Hoboken a few years ago. But he humored me and explained how a singer can go out and sing dark, depressing (but real powerful) songs about lost love night after night and not go crazy. He's a heckuva nice guy and really should be a lot better-known than he is. But that's the rest of the world's problem. You and I can go to the Living Room on Wednesday night.

Tinsel and Rot trivia: The name of this blog was blatantly stolen from a Matthew Ryan song ("I Hear a Symphony").

See you out there?

LINKS

  • Eric Ambel

  • Lakeside Lounge

  • Maybe Pete

  • Rockwood Music Hall

  • Matthew Ryan

  • The Living Room
  • No comments: