9.22.2005

In yourself, you must believe

I'd been doing really well with not watching TV shows aimed squarely at the teenage audience. I mean, it's been months since I've watched a "Boy Meets World" rerun. I was almost starting to feel like an adult.

But then I read an article about the season finale of "Degrassi: The Next Generation" and it mentioned that Caitlin from the original "Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High" series was on the show. So I tuned in, telling myself that I was only watching to see if that childhood crush on Caitlin was justified by time and then I would move on.

You can probably guess that it didn't turn out that way.

After spending that first time watching trying to decide if Caitlin was still hot (still undecided) and getting depressed because Joey Jeremiah, the very epitome of cool when I watched the original show, was now an old, bald man, I started to become interested in the kids on the show. I tried to piece together their back stories through repeats so I would know what was going on (a task more difficult than I thought it would be). I would switch off Mets games to see if there was an episode airing on Noggin, a channel I forgot I even had, buried as it is somewhere in the 100s (OK, it's channel 131, but I was trying to seem less obsessed. Not working.).

And now I anxiously await the new season, which starts next Friday. As much as I would like to tell you that my Friday nights are so packed with socializing that I won't be watching the season premiere, we both know that's not gonna happen. I'll be glued to the tube, unless I decide to go to that wrestling card at the local fieldhouse. Still single, ladies.

I would say that you should watch "Degrassi," too, so we can share our thoughts about the show, but, really, you shouldn't. I have a sickness and it is important that it doesn't spread. I'll find someone else to talk about the show with. Perhaps I'll hit the local schoolyard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all need our guilty pleasures. I've been waiting forever to feel like a grown up and I've come to the conclusion that it's never gonna happen. Last night when I was thinking about what I miss about my ex one of the first things that popped into my mind was the endless F-Zero, Mario Kart and Mario Tennis tournaments we used to have on N64. And you know what I feel pretty good about that. I'll never have to search for my inner child, she's always chilling on the couch with me.

I never really got into Degrassi, but I loved Ghostwriter. Kiddie detectives, with a supernatural something, that used whatever letters nearby to give them clues. It was the best.

Mr. Bad Example said...

Who feels guilty? Is it possible for a man who has a "Saved by the Bell" shrine in his kitchen to feel guilt?
If anything, my entire life is a guilty pleasure.