9.15.2005

Get Out: Special CMJ Edition

So, this weekend brings the College Media Journal music convention, and though I am neither in college or in the media (well, OK, I'm barely in the media), I would like to suggest some shows worthy of your attention, although most of them probably won't register with a lot of CMJ attendees and one has no actual connection to the convention. Look, people, I need a news peg, OK?



Thursday, September 15: Adrienne Young and Little Sadie, Satalla, 7:30 p.m., $15

OK, this show starts in roughly two hours, so chances of you attending are probably slim. But, let's face it, chances of you attending any show I suggest, no matter how far in advance I suggest it, are slim. I am under no delusion here (well I'm under some delusion, but not this particular one).

Anyway, if you don't go to this show and instead choose to spend your night suckling on the teat that is your XBox, PlayStation, etc., that's a shame. Because Adrienne Young and Little Sadie are a damn good band, folky without being cloying, bluegrassy without being boring, fun without costing you more than $20. Why not buy their new CD, "The Art of Virtue," if you're not going to the show? That will also cost you less than $20. God, the joy that can be brought to your life for less than $20.



Friday, September 16: Eric Ambel and the Roscoe Trio/Chip Robinson's Heavy Beat Outfit, Lakeside Lounge, 9 p.m., FREE (but give money when they pass the bucket, OK?)

And, sweet Jesus, the joy that can be brought for absolutely nothing (assuming you're so miserable that you don't give money when the bucket is passed around...I won't tell, but it will be on your conscience)! After an opening set by former Backslider Chip Robinson's band, Eric "Roscoe" Ambel, Yayhoo, Duke, Del Lord, Bar Owner, takes the stage (or, more accurately, the corner by the window) with his band for an evening of loud guitars and pounding rock and roll. It's Friday and you deserve some guitar. You also deserve a nice rowdy singalong involving the spelling of a certain four-letter word that begins with "F." And you shall likely get both at the Lakeside, voted the #1 NYC bar by non-drinking residents of Jersey City with "Saved by the Bell" shrines in their kitchens.

Saturday, September 17: CMJ Bloodshot BBQ, Union Pool (Williamsburg), Noon-7 (or so), $12 (plus free hot dogs and/or burgers)

Look, I won't lie to you, this is the weakest lineup for the annual Bloodshot Records BBQ that I can recall, mainly because the Waco Brothers and their various offshoots are not part of it at all (though they'll be around in October...I'll remind you). But Bobby Bare Jr., who is probably number 3 or 4 on the all-time Number of Concerts I Attended list (somewhere in the late teens, early twenties), is headlining, so that's reason enough to go. And to be fair to the other artists (Laura Minor, Eric Bachmann, Cordero, The Deadstring Brothers, Jennie Benford, and Mary Lou Lord), I think I'm just bitter because I won't get to watch the progression of the Waco Brothers' drunkenness over the course of seven hours, which is generally a pretty impressive sight. Anyway, the food's free, the music will likely be good, and fall will officially begin for me. Hooray.

Sunday, September 18: MOJO Aid (not CMJ-related), Irving Plaza, 7 p.m., $35

I think this is now sold out, but maybe you can find yourself a ticket somehow. MTV VJ Matt Pinfield once gave me a free ticket to see Jewel outside of Irving Plaza. Granted, that was about six years ago and he probably doesn't have free tickets to give out anymore, but who knows?

Wait. Did I just admit that I saw Jewel in concert? Was that wrong of me? Should I mention that I saw her three times? No? OK then.

Anyway, this show, which will not feature Jewel and/or any yodeling (probably), is a hurricane relief benefit put together by Jesse Malin, whom I've always heard good things about but just haven't got into yet. He's on the bill, along with Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, Joseph Arthur, Debbie Harry, Butch Walker, Ted Leo + Pharmacists, and a little band called Marah. And the evening's hosted by Staten Island's pride and joy, David Johansen. Find a ticket if you can.

That's all I have at the moment. Enjoy your weekend.

LINKS
  • Adrienne Young

  • Satalla

  • Eric Ambel

  • Lakeside Lounge

  • Bobby Bare Jr.

  • Bloodshot Records

  • Jesse Malin

  • Irving Plaza
  • No comments: