3.09.2009

Hank Locklin and Ernie Ashworth RIP

In keeping with our policy of always tipping our hats to Opry members who leave the earth, Tinsel and Rot notes the recent passing of two Opry members.

Hank Locklin, best known for the classics "Please Help Me, I'm Falling" and "Send Me The Pillow You Dream On," died over the weekend at the age of 91. Prior to his passing, Locklin was the oldest living Opry member, an honor that I think now falls to the 88=year-old Little Jimmy Dickens.

Mr. Locklin was one of those old-timers I wished I could've met, mainly because I like to meet as many classic country stars as I can, but also because his album covers were often as classic as the songs contained within. Witness "The Girls Get Prettier" and "Candy Kisses":




And here's vintage Locklin (with Floyd Cramer, I do believe), doing his biggest hit:


Ernie Ashworth, whose biggest hit was "Talk Back Trembling Lips," passed away on Monday, March 2, at the age of 80.

I'll admit that I know little of Mr. Ashworth other than the aforementioned monster hit, but I've always meant to rectify that. It's unfortunate that his passing is giving me the push I needed.

Here's "Talk Back Trembling Lips":


And so, two more Opry folks head to their rewards. Rest in peace, sirs.

No comments: