8.31.2006

Three for Thursday

1. Tonight marks the season finale of "Who Wants to Be a Superhero?" This gem, which airs on the Sci-Fi Network (a network I'd never watched before and will likely never watch again), is easily the best reality show since "The Joe Schmo Show" (Season One). Everything about it is phenomenal, from the bizarre challenges to Stan Lee's heavily scripted speeches to the craziest bunch of bastards on television. There has been what seems to be genuine crying the last two weeks (though, really, I don't care if it's genuine or not--it's hilarious). And the only prize that I know of is that you get to be featured in Stan Lee's next comic book and, I think, a Sci-Fi Network movie. People are crying over that. I love it, even if my boy Major Victory was wrongly eliminated last week (Fat Momma should've gotten the axe). Luckily, he got one last shining moment, a cell phone conversation with his estranged 16-year-old daughter, who claimed to love and be proud of Pops, who was crying and wearing a shiny red spandex suit at the time.

Anyway, the finale's on at 9 p.m. Thursday night. I hope there's some sort of marathon so you can catch up (it's only a six-episode series). It's a completely ridiculous show. You'll love it.

I'm rooting for Feedback, who will surely cry again at some point during the finale, win or lose. Watch it.

2. Tonight also brings the conclusion of a much less successful endeavor, GSN's "50 Greatest Game Shows of All Time." Based on what's been on the countdown already, I've gotta think that the top two are "Jeopardy" and "Match Game," probably in that order. I guess I can accept that (I loves me some "Match Game," but it shouldn't be that high up; no way is it better than "The Price Is Right"), but I cannot and will not accept that "Lingo" is the 16th best game show of all time (higher than "Remote Control," "Super Password," and "Name That Tune," among others). Shame on you, GSN. You can't play favorites. But at least there's an explanation for that. "Deal or No Deal" at #26? Nonsense.

If you want to see the list for yourself, check out the Wikipedia entry. And if you want to watch the not-so-exciting conclusion, it's on Thursday night at 10 p.m. on GSN.

3. And this isn't related to Thursday, but I needed the alliteration: on Friday, Todd Snider and his merry band of men (and woman) will be the musical guests on the far-superior-to-Leno "Late Show with David Letterman." It's the same lineup as their appearance on Leno, but swap out Doug Lancio on guitar for Will Kimbrough, which, no offense to Mr. Lancio, makes this appearance even cooler. Check it out, OK? And buy "The Devil You Know" and "Americanitis" or suffer my wrath.

No comments: